Wednesday, January 2, 2008

2008 Plans

Well, I am back at work again and my holidays are finished. But I have to say that I got quite a lot accomplished over my break. I really had sewing in mind as to what I was going to do. And the only days that I had a break from sewing were Christmas Day, Boxing Day and then New Year’s Eve and Day. But the latter is due to my relatives staying. And with the sewing room also being the spare bedroom, I cannot get in there to make anything. Which is really annoying, but I spent the last two days of my holidays cutting fabric and patterns to make up for it.

I also managed to get out to a couple of fabric shops and picked up a few things. Namely the fabric for one of my medieval dresses this year. I needed 9.5 metres of fabric and when you are after that much you would really like something rather cheap. So I was glad to find the fabric for $4 / metre and it is exactly what I had in my mind for what I wanted.

I did get a little slack with my blog and have not really posted about all the things I have been sewing so I will start to get onto that soon. But what I really need to do is decide which costumes that I want to make this year. So I am listing.

January – Steampunk
I have completed this. All that I really made specifically for the costume was the silk underbust corset. Mainly because I am using pieces from some of my other costumes that will work perfectly.

February – Vintage Swimwear.
Also finished. And rather proud of how this turned out. I went 1940s. But to see it, I guess you will just have to be there at the event. The other thing that I was originally going to get done for February were some 50s clothing for my mum’s birthday part on the 16th. But she has decided to make it uncostumed, which will make it a bit more comfortable for some of her friends. However I will probably pull together a dress for me. And if I can’t get a new one done, I already have at least one that would work.

March – Gods and Goddesses
This one is a surprise. I have it well in hand but and not going to say anything more about what exactly I am going to make. I have the patterns ready, I just need to get the fabric and get cracking.

April – Supanova Brisbane
My very first supernova. At this stage I am looking at going for all three days, but I would probably prefer to just do Friday night and Saturday. I will have to see. But at this stage I have some costumes under control. American McGee’s Alice is one of them. I originally wore this one at Halloween but it didn’t turn out exactly how I wanted it, so I have made the necessary adjustments. All I need to do now is finish the petticoat for underneath. (I stared making it but ran out of tulle about a third of the way around.) In my defence I was using the leftover tulle that I had from one of my other petticoats. Chi (Chobits) is another one that I would like to do. I just need to decide which outfit I want to make. I have the wig and headpiece prepared but that is it. I guess I will just have to watch it again and make my decision. Elizabeth Swan (POTC2 DMC) I bought the fabric for this a while ago and have been slowly progressing to get it done. And I only have one piece left to finish, so I may just wear it to Supernova.

May / June - Edwardian
I have this one all ready to go. Originally I was going to use it for Melbourne cup last year but decided that it would be too hot and I did not really want to put a hat with the outfit I chose. So it got made but is just sitting in the cupboard ready to wear. I will pull it out closer to the day and have another look at it. I may be able to jazz it up a bit more with some lace, but I really did like how it turned out at the time. I guess I could make a new corset to wear underneath. Maybe an Edwardian long lined style one.

July – Abbey Medieval Fair
I am definitely going again this year. And I think what I did last year was good, so I may just do that again. On Saturday we went to the Mask Ball (plenty of time to get ready in the day and finish incomplete sewing emergencies) and then on Sunday we went for the whole day. At least if I do that again, it will not completely eat up my weekend. But I will have to wait and see what we decide to do.

September – Regency
Big yes to this one. I have always longed to do a regency dress. And how nice that it falls in the month of my birthday. This one will require quite a bit of work. I have on order the pattern that I intend to use to make the dress. At this stage I am thinking lemon yellow with white and darker yellow trimmings. The corset I already have cut out. I had the fabric at home that was left over from another thing I made and thought why not just get started on it.

December – Wild West
Cannot wait. I have already done the whole cancan dress thing, so I might go a bit different on this one. At this stage it is too far away to plan, but who knows, something may just grab me in the mean time and say – make me.

And then there are all those other projects that I would just love to do. The ones that are not really necessary, but I am just too addicted to sewing. And anyway, there are always times when you can wear a fabulous costume. The people at work already think that I am nuts but that has never stopped me before. I mean you have the fabulous celebration days that are just asking for an outfit. St Patrick’s Day, Melbourne Cup, International Talk Like a Pirate Day, Halloween. I intend to have plans and outfits for them all this year. Even if I have to re-wear a few bits. But hey that is why I make piece costumes. The ones that I already have in the making on the side:

Padme Picnic Gown

Anna from Van Helsing (the riding outfit)

Victorian

But I already know myself in that I will find heaps more to fill out my costumes journals and add to my wish list of the ones I want to make. I just need the occasion to wear them and I will make something fabulous. I mean, there is always an occasion for a corset or a wig. I just need to get some more photos of some of my outfits. I may just have to bribe my brother for some photo time. Hmmm, not too bad an idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment