Saturday, April 24, 2010

Jane Austen Festival 2010 Day #4

Our last day of the festival saw us heading out for a costumed promenade and picnic. Everyone was dressed in the picnicy best as we strolled along the waterfront to the bell tower and island where we set up our picnic. A few of us got a little distracted by the coffee kiosk on our way, but we made it and set up for a relaxing lunch. A few photos and some scrumptious food later (stupid hotel bar fridge froze my strawberries, grrrr...) we made our way back to the hall for a costuming talk and regency tea. It was actually quite interesting to learn about the intricacies of tea in the period.

This was the day I was most looking forward to dressing up. I got to wear my 1780s open robe and skirt. It was the very last outfit that I got complete but I am so glad that I did. The skirt is made in the Georgian way with side seam splits and two waistbands, one that ties at the back and one at the front. It is also made of about 7 metres of white cotton voile, but by wearing the lemon petticoat underneath it gives the fabric a very light creme cast. It would be interesting to try this with a bright coloured petticoat underneath (red or blue). The open robe is made from the JP Ryan pattern again, though it does up down the front with my hand sewn eyelets and satin ribbon in spiral lacing. I am very pleased that about how it looked, and I even got to wear my pockets under this outfit. Not to mention the large hat. As for my hair, I had intended to use the wig that I styled, but on the morning decided to instead use my own hair so that it would all be up and off my neck. Turned out to be a very good decision, but next time I will be using rats instead of just teasing.

Donna also chose to go for the late Georgian look with her redingote and monstrous hat. She looked absolutely amazing. For that matter, everyone look fantastic (except the guy with the too tight pants - don't need that image *shudder*), as we all dressed up. Kerry in her white drop front gown and new green silk spencer, Sam in her pelisse, Lynne in her green stipe gown and Wendy in her blue gown. I thought that we all looked fabulous. Photos!!!! (The plastic cow was in the foyer of our hotel, odd I know).

No comments:

Post a Comment