Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Stargatery

I am now in the final countdown to Brisbane Supanova. It starts on Friday 1st April, so I need to have all my costumes ready to go by then. I'm really starting to get nervous with the amount of work I still have to do to finalise everything. I've got my costume list all set out so that I know what I need to make, but it feels like it is taking me an age to cross things off. At any rate, the first one that I will be wearing is my Stargate uniform. So I am trying to focus on it first.

I got a couple more additions to my stargate uniform, just in my slackness have forgotten to post about them.


Patches

My patches came from here: http://www.scifigeeks.com/. The seller also has a really wide range, so you don't have to be SG1. And they are screen accurate - not to mention if you are doing any other of the stargate uniforms, the patches are also available. My brother chose for us to be SG23 because it is a prime number. As a side note, they happen to have an awful lot of patches from other movies and TV shows. Oh, and they cost at around the $9 mark. The only thing that you will need to do is attach velcro to the back of the patches so that they are removable from the uniform jacket. Which leads to...

Velcro
The advantage of attaching velcro to the back of your patches is that you can easily change the costume without having to do any sewing. I was going to order my velcro from the same place as the patches, but instead found a much cheaper option. And to top it off, you can order them in many different colours and sizes. Go here: https://www.nametags4u.com. And as you can see I have now affixed the velcro to the patches. It was really just a matter of some ironing, but I kind of just put it off as a last minute thing. 

Watch
Generally in the show, they use a particularly fancy Casio watch, however they are priced around the $200 mark. I just could not bring myself to spend that sort of money on a watch for a costume, especially considering that I generally don't wear watches. At any rate, I found a casio watch that looks kind of similar on ebay for about $20. A lot friendlier to my budget, especially considering how much this costume has cost all up. I won't go into it, but I can tell you now that it really hasn't been cheap. I had best be looking to make the rest of my costumes for the year from stash fabric. 

No comments:

Post a Comment