Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Ancients WDR

Next on the agenda was the RIFF christmas party (my re-enactment group). This year we decided to do a simple Ancients Wine, Dine and Recline.

I have long loved the history of the Minoan society - from ancient Crete. Ever since I did a school project, I have loved the myth, the legends and the history. So, I saw this as the perfect occasion to fulfill that and make a Minoan womens costume. There isn't much information out there and I really struggled for how to put it together. I ordered a couple of books from Book Depository for some help and got cracking. There are a number of components that I made:

The skirt. Skirts are depicted as full of ruffles. So after a bit of fabric research, I purchased some linen and go cracking. The base skirt is a simple six gore out of some cotton sheeting that I had in my stash. It then has six flounces sewn onto it. They are made out of three varying shades of blue. The next part was to for the bodice. Most of my research shows bare breasted women with fitted bodices. I didn't really want to have the girls out on show for everyone to see, and was lucky enough to find images where the women are wearing a chemise under the bodice. I simply used one of my regency chemises as it gave the correct style of neckline. Then there was the bodice. It is made from two layers of red linen and it laces up the front with hand stitched eyelets and some red lacing cord. It is also trimmed with a band of black and blue banding running down the seam of the arm. If I had more of the trim, I would really liked to have added some around the cuff of the sleeves - but it was something from my stash. The bodice is cut as the back on a fold and the front shaped around the bust to support and lift. The sleeves are cut into the piece with a seam running along the shoulder and under the arm and side seam. It is made to fit very snugly. I topped it all off with a leather belt around my middle and some quick wig styling of my long black wig. Next time though, I am planning a whole new wig.

As for my contribution to food, I stumbled across a vague description for a pork Minoan casserole style dish. Since I had such trouble finding a recipe, here is how I made it...

Ingredients:
  • 800g pork steak
  • 1/2 bottle of white wine
  • 1 Tablespoon dried Thyme
  • 1 Leek, sliced
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil
  • 1/2 cup honey
Dice the pork into cubes and marinade in the fridge with the white wine for at least 1 hour. Heat oil in a large pan and lightly cook the leek. You want it to be soft but not too browned. Add the remaining ingredients. Bring the mixture to the boil, reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and cook for 1 hour. Serve.

And with that, I leave you with some photos.

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic! I love your costume.

    It looks like you all had excellent time.

    ReplyDelete