Since I started working full time again, I have discovered a distinct lack of energy of an evening. So much so that I really don’t get a whole lot done during the week anymore. I suppose it doesn’t help that I have been sick, but I really need to get into the motivation thing and start cracking on some work. With that in mind, I thought it was high time for my six monthly planning post. I warn you, there is a whole lot coming up and a good amount of it, I need to be sewing for.
3rd – 4th Steamfest (the first Steampunk convention – attending with EDAS)
Rewear – Steampunk Safari outifts
10th Storia Vivente (14th / 15th Century immersion weekend)
Sewing – Smock
Rewear – Red Kirtle, Blue Cotehardie (Late 14th Century)
18th Alice In Wonderland High Tea
Sewing – White Rabbit Suit
25th Regency Strawberry Picking
Rewear - 1795 white gown and red open robe
31st ACG Ball
Sewing – Historical Disney Princess - Ariel
Back-up Plan – Charlotte LeBouf (Princess and the Frog)
7th Bloodlust Ball (Gothic / Vampire event)
Rewear – Steampunk Geisha
21st Gangsters Ball
Sewing – 1930s grey satin gown
22nd My Birthday Party
Sewing – I have invitations, decorations and an outfit to make. Lots to do and soon.
Sewing – 1950s taffeta gown
12th Marburg Festival
8th – 10th Supanova Brisbane
Rewear – I Dream Of Jeannie, Sansa Stark (and fix up belt)
Sewing – Lord Varys (Game of Thrones) for my Brother, Margery Tyrell (Game of Thrones)
30th RIFF Christmas Party
Rewear – Minoan Gown
ACG Christmas Party
Sewing – 1920s summer frock
There’s a whole lot of planned sewing going on there, so I will need to get cracking ASAP. The main one I need to focus on is my ACG Ball costume – The Historical Disney Princess, Ariel. I am planning to enter the parade, but what I do will depend on me getting my costume completed. At least I have a backup plan. So far, the patterns have arrived and I have all of my materials, trims, wig. The best part is that I am using a roll of fabric from my stash for the bulk of the costume. So this week, I am starting the pattern drafting. Then I simply need to mock it up, make any adjustments and then get onto the real thing. The part that worries me the most is the trimming detail that I am planning to put into the gown. Handsewing will be plentiful.
Monday, July 29, 2013
And I am back at work after another weekend out on the town. This time, I attended the annual Heritage Ball at Morningside. The day started off with helping my parents move an old spa that we were giving away out of our backyard and onto a trailer. I then proceeded style my wig and to host a historical hair styling session with the Australian Costumers Guild. In the end, I ended up styling five heads of hair in preparation for the night. We all went with different styles – I had three 1850s crinoline ear styles and two bustle era styles.
Wednesday, July 24, 2013
Then came Saturday night. I attended a Halloween in July themed Birthday Party. I didn’t make anything new, but I did have to narrow down my decisions of what I would wear. Obviously, I wanted to wear one of my character costumes, but which one. I eliminated all of the summery ones first given that the part was scheduled for a wintery Brisbane evening. The next step was to take out the big ones that would take up too much room as the party was to be held at a rather small townhouse. I ummed and ahhed over which one to wear, but it wasn’t until Saturday afternoon that I finally made the decision- Mrs Lovett. I had completely forgotten that I had the costume as it hadn’t been worn for years and was packed away in a box. My only dilemma was that when I previously wore the costume, I styled my own hair, which is now short, white and pink and completely unsuitable for the costume. I ended up using my Georigan Hedgehog wig, by tamping down the curls with a heap of pins and pushing it into shape, I was able to get what I wanted. Best of all, it will all bounce back into shape for me the next time I want to do Georgian.