Sunday, September 29, 2013

Teddy Bears This Way


After a night out on the town at the Gangsters Ball, I was up bright and early on Sunday getting ready for the party ahead. This one, was mine. For my 28th Birthday, I decided to host a Teddy Bear's Picnic.
I decided to take the event off site this year and head to a park around the corner from my house. I wanted a full picnic atmosphere, and you just can't get that on our back patio. We loaded up the cars and headed around. I had been baking all Friday night and Saturday with some last minute preps on Sunday morning. We set up the site with my reenacting shade shelter, and picnic blankets. I decorated the edges with the bunting I made last year (I knew it would come in handy again), and set up my table. I had the whole thing planned out in my head, with the cake take precedence at the centre and all the fool laid out surrounding it. I even used the adorable little chalkboards that I picked up a wheel and barrow a few months ago.
There was Bear Shaped Sandwiches, Tiny Chipolata Sausages, Apple Coleslaw, Cupcakes, Teddy Bear Pasta Salad, Gummy Bears, Butterscotch Popcorn, Tiny Teddies, Turkey Metaloaf, Cheese platter, Ginger Cookies and Grizzly bear bars. I decided to serve my salads in little individual servings. The large cups are gelati cups that I picked up at a cheap party store at Westfield Strathpine, while the little cups with lids came from Daiso (Aussie version of the 100 Yen store's in Japan) at Westfield Chermside. I topped off my table with a gingham cloth and had red napkins, plates and cutlery out for everyone.
To top it off, instead of party hats for my attendees, I made bearbands. Teddy Bear Ear handbands. I bought the plastic bands in bulk on easy and picked up two colours of felt at spotlight. A bit of handsewing later and I was done. They were rather time consuming in the beginning, but by the time I was on my 5th one, I had a bit of a production process going, and was whipping them out in no time at all. I made 16 in total, and each person got to take theirs home.
We ate, played games (pass the parcel and trivia) and had a generally good time. It was lovely that so many of my friends could make it along, and I hope they had a great time. I certainly did.

No comments:

Post a Comment