Monday, December 16, 2013

A State of our own

Last Tuesday, I attended the annual Proclamation Day event at Newstead House with the Australian Costumers Guild. We have been invited along for a number of years to add atmosphere in period costume to the event that celebrates the day when our state became a state in its own right. It’s a simple celebration with a flag raising, nibbles, speeches and carols by the piano at one of Brisbane’s most known heritage houses. But it is wonderful that we get the opportunity to be there an provide that element of atmosphere.

It had thankfully cooled down quite a bit after a stinker of a day and the breeze off the Brisbane river was keeping us cool. We wandered the grounds for some photos in the gardens before the ceremony began. 
Ceremony...
Afterwards, we took a quick tour around the house and snapped a few more shots before the light disappeared completely. The evening finished off with carols around the piano and chatting with the interested attendees.
It’s a lovely event to be invited to, and I strive to make the effort to go along each year. This year, I pulled out my white silk crinoline that I re-trimmed from the heritage ball earlier this year. I love the ensemble now, and have my old purple one in the pile of stuff to be sold (so if you are interested in it, watch this space).
I did however spend some time making a new petticoat. This one, out of taffeta. An unfortunate side effect of wearing silk skirts is that they stick to a cotton petticoat. I've had a taffeta petticoat planned for some time, I just haven't had the fabric or gotten around to making it. So, on my last trip to Adelaide, I picked up a lovely silver taffeta and I spent some time last weekend whipping it up. I even spent some time decorating the hem with some pin tucks and lace.
And despite recovering from a stomach bug at the time, and feeling rather awful, I had a wonderful night out with my ACG girls.

3 comments:

  1. My favourite period for costumes - you all look lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heee! My "diamonds" are blinging in the selfie of the two of us! :D

    ReplyDelete