Thursday, December 5, 2013

Cards for Christmas

The first of my Christmas Parties. On Saturday night, my re-enactment group RIFF held our Christmas party. This year, we decided upon a regency card night. We had a buffet spread of food with a pineapple taking pride of place on the table. While they were hard to come by and very expensive in regency times; in Queensland, getting a pineapple isn’t an issue. The hard part is finding one with the top still attached.
I took an easy case on the baking this time. And provided some simple turkey, camembert and cranberry sandwiches, German cookies (to go with the German Christmas tree), trifle, brandied cherry truffles and wassail (a traditional warm beverage).
My trifle, made the way my Grandma always made it – with a healthy splash of wine.
Ingredients:
     Tin peaches
     Sponge cake or jam roll (homemade or purchased)
     Green Jelly
     Custard
     Sweet Wine (I use Boronia, sherry)
Make up the jelly as directed on the packet and set in the fridge overnight. In the morning slice up your cake and line the edges of your trifle bowl. For individual servings, slice thinly. Sprinkle over a healthy splash of wine. Cut up the set Jelly and add in the middle along with the peaches. Top with custard and leave to set in the fridge for a few hours to set before serving.
And, since it was such a success, the Wassil. This is the version that I made (a half strength alcohol so that those driving could have some).

Ingredients:
     1 Litre Apple Cider
     1 Litre Apple Juice
     300ml Pineapple Juice
     Spice Bag (thin cotton tied with string)
     2 teaspoons whole cloves
     2 teaspoons whole allspice (pimento)
     1 cinnamon stick
Pour all ingredients into a crock pot or large saucepan. Bring to a simmer and leave for 4 – 6 hours. Remove the spice bag and serve up warm in a jug.
As for costumes, I’ve actually put on a little weight recently, so my 1823 ball gown, which was a touch tight to begin with is now horribly so. So, instead I decided to be the out-dated one and wear a late Georgian outfit – my Green 1780s drawstring gown with hedgehog wig. Since the weather has been so hot of late, I decided to forego one of the petticoats and the false rump didn’t last all night either. Of course, I didn't get any shots of myself. I was too busy relaxing for the evening to take many photos.

All in all though, I had a lovely evening of playing loo (not my favourite game) and whist and catching up with friends that it has been far too long since I have seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment