Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Party like a hobbit

It was quite the eventful weekend for me. I spent Saturday cracking onto all my sewing and uni work, making a lot of progress. But the next thing on the list was my attendance at a Tolkein themed 21st Birthday Party for a fellow member of the Australian Costumers Guild. The party organisers (the Birthday Girl's mum) put on an amazing spread of food for the big day. I had a great time with my fellow costume buddies and meeting a couple of other people dressed up. I did feel a little sad for the birthday girl as so few of her other friends had gone to the effort to dress up, but I am glad that the ladies of the ACG made the effort.

I made the trip over with my cousin who was dressed as Tauriel from the latest Hobbit movie. We made such good time with traffic that we were early, so we decided to spend our time snapping a few shots. It was a warm day, but the giant industrial fan came in handy for a few photos. Later on we were joined by a few more ACG members, dressed as the most adorable hobbits, hairy feet included. And our birthday girl was dressed as traditional Galadriel.

For the occasion, I decided to make up spelled Galadriel from Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Ring. For those not in the know, it's a costume that is in the film for all of 15seconds, when Frodo offers the ring to Galadriel and she turns all grey and evil for a split second. I'm not a fan of medieval fashion which is what so much of Lord of the Rings is based on, so I really struggled over my choice. In the end, I am really glad that I decided to go down this route. It gave me experience in working with making costume armour (tutorial to come soon) which I plan to use in the future. And I was so pleased with both my lace front wig and my latex elf ears. I am really looking forward to wearing this one again.

No comments:

Post a Comment