Monday, July 25, 2016

History Alive - Suffragettes


History Alive...

When Sunday comes around we jump forward to the 1890s were we portray Queensland Suffragettes. We’re only a group of four at this point, but we do our best to show what it was like in Australia for women trying to gain the vote. The biggest fallacy is that Suffragettes were all extremists and violent. But because Australian women had the vote so early in the piece, it was quite the peaceful movement. We run a bake sale to raise funds for the cause, hand out information sheets, organise a petition, give speeches and organise marches.


I wasn't quite so happy with the costume that I made last year (skirt was a bit short and not full enough for my happiness), add to that a bit of weight gain and I really wanted to put together something new to wear this year. I managed to put the whole thing together out of my stash. The skirt is made from a lightweight grey wool, lined with flannel and with a canvas hem facing to help hold the skirt out. I added a new vest with welt pockets and of course a new hat to match it all. I must say, I was very pleased with the ensemble. 

No comments:

Post a Comment